Acne is a common problem for both men and women. The unpleasant sight of pimple is quite distressing and embarrassing. Hormonal imbalance is not the only reason behind it, there are plenty more. If you suffer from acne, the first thing you should do is get informed. This will help you understand, and guide you to find a suitable remedy. Here’s an overview for the same.
Acne Vulgaris, commonly called as acne, is a skin disease characterized by pimples, white heads, blackheads and pustules that can appear on face, neck, upper chest and upper legs.
Types of acne
To trace the roots of acne it is necessary to understand what form of acne you suffer from. Even though pimples are the most popular form of acne and the one most people are anticipated to encounter; but it is required to be familiar with all the other forms as well.
- Pustules: These are small reddish zits on the skin which are filled with pus. Pus contains bacteria and dead cells.
- Papules: Solid inflammatory boosts on the skin that lacks pus.
- Comedones: This is a collective term for blackheads and whiteheads. When the skin pores are blocked by bacteria, oil and dead skin cells blackheads elevates. The black color generally appears when the melanin reacts with the oxygen.
- Nodules: Nodules are the hardest and the most painful marks of all. They can take more than a month to recover. They are known to penetrate the deeper layers of the dermis and cause tissue damage.
- Cysts: Cysts are somewhat like pustules but larger in size. They are much more painful than Nodules and worst of them all.
Causes of acne
There are numerous factors that contribute in the formation of acne. Nonetheless, both men and women are known to suffer from acne, but it’s a more painful scenario for men. This is mainly because of higher concentration of male hormone Testosterone in younger men.
- Hormones: During adolescence, when the hormonal activities gear up and provoke hormones to take their toll, acne tends to show up most commonly. Under the influence of certain hormones the oil glands enlarge and produce excessive sebum (oil), which gets trapped in hair follicle and become sticky causing the dead cells to take the form of zit.
- Infections: Bacterium specie that is widely accepted to cause acne is P.acnes (Propionibacterium acnes). They are normal inhabitants of the skin and are generally harmless. The infection develops when the pores get clogged with dead cells and sebum, the bacteria begin to grow and cause inflammation on the skin surface.
- Heredity: You can be more prone to developing acne if it is genetically caused or runs in family through heredity.
- Psychological: The relationship between stress and acne has been controversial. But researches have found increased levels of stress to be associated with acne.
Whatever may be the reason for those undesirable zits, they sure look ugly. Here are some effective remedies to get them eradicate them:-
Oatmeal facial: This is a naturally soothing face mask which clears up acne as well as the acne scars. Mix two teaspoons of oatmeal, one tea spoon of baking soda and enough water to make a paste. Apply the paste all over the face and let it dry. Rinse thoroughly when it dries.
- Eating food rich in zinc: Zinc is antibacterial and a necessary element for oil producing glands of the skin. Eating diet rich in zinc can heal acne to greater extent.
- Washing face with sulfur based soap: Wash your face with sulfur based acne soap at least twice a day. Do not over wash, because over washing can trigger your sebaceous glands to produce more oil thus leading to acne.
- Olive oil: Putting oil on skin which is extra oily may sound stupid. But is it is actually beneficial. Take a few drops of oil and rub it all over your face in circular motions, massaging deep into the skin. Then place a cloth dipped in hot water onto your face and leave it for a while. Pat your skin dry with a soft tissue.
- Laser: Technology is making things easier for us, one example of which is Laser therapy. When done by a medical expert, it is safe to remove acne and acne scars with the help of this technology.
Ointments: To get rid of your acne many solutions like Revitol Acnezine Treatment, are available in the market now days. Then there are ointments comprising of benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and certain antimicrobial agents that also helpful in curing acne and recommended by dermatologist.